The National Reining Horse Association (NRHA) proudly announces the group of judges chosen for the 6666 NRHA Derby presented by Markel, held June 13-25, 2023. As the second largest NRHA-approved event of the year, preparation for the prestigious show has started, including finalizing who will evaluate each run.
Kelly Hedges, Jan Hay, Dean Bogart, and BJ Riberio have been chosen for the Adequan® Arena classes. The Judges Monitor will be Bob Kail.
The Jim Norick Coliseum will be judged by Bub Poplin, Ollie Griffith, Mack Weaver, Gabe Davide, and Manu Maiocchi, with Jeff Buckley as equipment judge. The Judges Monitor is Eugenio Latorre.
“The selection of judges for an NRHA Event is thorough, fair, and rigorous,” said Patti Carter, Senior Director of Education and Officials. “The NRHA Judges Committee is confident this group of judges will represent NRHA and its athletes with consistent and accurate maneuver and penalty application throughout the event. We look forward to working with this amazing group of selected NRHA Judges.”
The NRHA Derby and Futurity judges are recommended by the Judges Committee, submitted to a sub-committee appointed by the NRHA President, and given final approval from the Executive Committee. The recommendations are made by the following criteria:
- Each eligible judge is contacted for their availability for the event
- All available judges are compiled into a list and sent to each member of the Judges Committee
- Judges Committee members make selections from the list to fill the allotted slots for the event
- These names are compiled into a shortlist and discussed on a conference call with all members of the Judges Committee.
- The committee members, except for the chair, then rank their choices, and each ranking equates to a certain number of points. The points are compiled and submitted to the committee chair.
- The committee chair reviews and makes recommendations based on the outcome of the vote and the needs of NRHA.
- The ranked list with the Judges Committee Chair recommendations is submitted to the subcommittee for final selection.
For more information, visit NRHA.com/judges.