The 6666 National Reining Horse Association Derby presented by Markel is the second richest event in reining, with more than $1.3 million paid out in 2021. Once again, the Level 4 Open Champion will win $75,000, the Level 4 Non Pro titlist will pocket $30,000, and there are guaranteed payouts for the rest of the regular divisions in the Non Pro and Open. Special division sponsors, including Story Book Stables, Colston Paving, Tamarack Ranch, and Clark’s Pump-N-Shop account for an additional $110,000 in added money.
With so much cash on the line, it’s obvious that earning a check during the 12 days of competition is quite an accomplishment, and in some instances can push an owner, rider, sire, or dam past a career milestone.
Surpassing one million dollars in earnings in any of those categories is cause for celebration, and on the eve of the preliminary rounds for the Derby, several are in striking distance of their next—or first—million.
Although there are a few shows still outstanding, current earnings were pulled Thursday morning. The following lists show those closest to the next million.
Potential Million Dollar Riders
- Justin Mathison – $975,285
- Martin Larcombe – $957,263
- Arno Honstetter – $928,666
Multi-Million Dollar Riders
- Shawn Flarida – $6,900,544
- Casey Deary – $2,981,233
- Tom McCutcheon – $1,971,303
Potential Million Dollar Sires
- Smart And Shiney – $999,811
- Electric Code – $949,950
- SG Frozen Enterprize – $898,106
- Colonels Shining Gun – $852,341
Multi-Million Dollar Sires
- Walla Walla Whiz – $3,982,323
- Jacs Electric Spark – $3,743,878
- A Sparkling Vintage – $2,881,132
- Whizkey N Diamonds – $1,996,939
- Lil Joe Cash – $1,845,373
Potential Million Dollar Dams
- Wind Her Up Shiner – $969,614
- Wind Her Up Chic – $842,736
Multi-Million Dollar Owners
- Mandy McCutcheon – $1,917,449
- Tom McCutcheon – $1,753,748
*Please not that these lists are unofficial. To check earnings, login at ReinerSuite.NRHA.com